The buttermilk makes this sponge delightfully light for a gluten-free cake. Once of the lightest I have made.
300g caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
4 tablespoon cold water
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
300g rice flower
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon GF
bicarbonate of soda
250g icing sugar
125g Philadelphia cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 150 C fan oven. Prepare 2 x 20cm cake tins.
- Beat together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the vanilla and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, water and vinegar.
- Sift together the flour xanthan gum and bicarbonate of soda. Add half to the bowl along with the half the buttermilk mix and gently fold in. Add the other half of the flour and buttermilk and fold in. Divide between the two cake tins and smooth over evenly. Place in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Leave to cool
- Beat together the icing ingredients and spread ver one of the cakes. Spread the jam over the other one and sandwich together.